Self - Introduction Letter

Subject: Self - Introduction Letter to Professor Brad Blackstone. 

Dear Prof Brad, 

My name is Amirah and I am from your Effective Communication class. I am writing this self-introduction letter to you in hopes that you can get to know me better. 

I graduated from Temasek Polytechnic with a diploma in biomedical engineering in 2020, and I am currently pursuing my degree in mechanical engineering. During my internship with a manufacturing company in my final year in polytechnic, I had the opportunity to work with design engineers and mechanical engineers, which encouraged me to expand my knowledge in design engineering. Before pursuing my degree, I worked in a manufacturing company for a year as an associate engineer (production technician), when I decided to continue my studies. 

From my working experience, I can say that one of my strengths in communication skills is the ability to communicate and work well with different individuals confidently. As a trainer, I was able to train my trainees with full confidence. My job scope consisted of troubleshooting and testing, and it requires good time management. Communication is crucial as explaining and teaching newcomers requires skills in order to make sure that they understand what they are expected to do in their roles. 

However, I have difficulties in sharing my ideas or opinions when I am surrounded by people who are more experienced or knowledgeable than I am. I tend to doubt myself, my ideas, and my suggestions when others come up with better ones. 

What makes me special is that engineering is not the only field I'm interested in; I do art as well. I used to be an art student in secondary school, with intentions to major in Fine Arts after secondary school. However, I realized that that wasn't the right path for me. I still do create artworks till today, using mediums such as oil paint and watercolor on canvas. 

By the end of this module, I would like to have more confidence in voicing out my opinions and ideas to others. In addition, I want to be inspired by other people instead of being intimidated by them. I believe that by actively participating in your class, it will help me achieve my goal. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter, and I look forward to your classes. 

Regards,
Amirah



Edited: 
26/01/22
07/02/22


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amirah, I am glad to learn more about you through this letter and it is good to know that you are confident in communicating with others. I hope you will be able to voice out your ideas confidently too as I would love to hear them. Your letter is well written and concise but I noticed there is an unnecessary comma in the sentence "I believe that actively participating in your class, will help me achieve my goal.". Thank you for the letter and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jamie! Thank you for your feedback, I'm glad you get to learn more about me through this letter. Thank you for pointing out the mistake, I will improve on my writing and I hope I get to work with you more in class :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Amirah,
    Glad to learn more about you through this letter and that you had prior knowledge in this field before deciding to further your studies in what you like. Letter is well written and is clear and elaborated on your experience in this field of work however, I would like to know more about what makes you feel special or what differentiates you from your classmate. Other than that, well done on the letter and thank you for this introduction. Hope we can interact more in this class and get to know each other better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phan! Thank you for taking time to read my letter and for this feedback, yes I agree I totally missed out one important point and I have already made amendments. I look forward to work with you in class !

      Delete
  4. Hello Amirah! Thank you for your letter. I like the way you elaborated on your past experiences as examples of your strength in communication. However, I would like to point out that there seems to be a missing component in the letter, which is to include something that differentiates you from the class.

    Overall, I really liked your letter! I hope that you achieve your goals and to get to know you better during this module.

    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie ! I'm glad that you enjoyed my letter, thank you for your feedback . I've already made amendments in my letter and I will improve on my writing, see you in class !

      Delete
  5. Dear Amirah,

    Thank you for this clear, concise and informative letter. You cover the scope of the assignment well while detailing your educational background and work experiences then connecting those to your interests and communication skills. You make clear that you have gained just the sort of experience and knowledge, especially in your capacity as an associate engineer/trainer, that would be beneficial for your classmates to hear about. You're someone we can all learn from.

    This is also a fluent reflection that flows well. However, there are a few language issues:

    1. word choice
    -- ...which intrigued me to expand my knowledge in design engineering. > which encouraged me to expand my knowledge in design engineering.
    2. ...I worked in a manufacturing company for a year as an associate engineer (production technician), where I decided to continue my studies. >
    I worked in a manufacturing company for a year as an associate engineer (production technician), WHEN I decided to continue my studies.

    2. punctuation
    -- Communication is crucial, as... > Communication is crucial as...
    -- What makes me special is that engineering is not the only field I'm interested in, I do art as well.
    >
    What makes me special is that engineering is not the only field I'm interested in; I do art as well.
    -- I believe that actively participating in your class, will help... > ?
    -- I still do create artworks till today, my paintings include oil/acrylic paints and watercolor. > ?

    3. verb tense (sentence structure)
    -- My job scope consists of troubleshooting, testing and requires good time management.
    > My job scope consisted of troubleshooting and testing, and it required good time management.

    -- I found myself having difficulties in sharing my ideas or opinions when I am surrounded by people who are more experienced or knowledgeable than I am. > (past or present?)

    Please don't let my points on accuracy eclipse what's really excellent in your letter. I'm simply highlighting areas that can be made more correct.

    I look forward to reading more form you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Prof Brad! Thank you for this helpful feedback, I have already made amendments in my letter :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts